Your child must be hospitalized and, nearing the fateful date, you are worried. Your child is so small! Will he react to his operation? We take stock with our specialist.
- You do not know what information to give your child. But you feel that your presence is essential for this experience to be as good as possible.
- Your child. Despite your reassuring speech, he does not always understand what will happen.
- You. The idea of leaving your child in the hands of a medical team that does not know him well worries you. And even if the operation does not present any particular danger, you do not feel completely reassured.
CASE BY CASE SOLUTION
He will have a small intervention
- Put a splint, small suture without anesthesia ... your presence with your child can only be beneficial during all pre- and postoperative exams. It may, indeed, not much appreciate all the controls it will have to undergo (x-ray, blood test, verification of temperature, tension, etc.).
What has to be done :
- Explain to him why he has to undergo surgery. It is essential that he understands that no one wants him harm, quite the contrary. And above all, do not hesitate to value his courage, it will help him to pass the course!
He will undergo a general anesthesia
- One week before the procedure, meet the anesthetist. This is the time to ask all the questions that tease you: how is it going to be anesthetized, how long will the operation last? In simpler terms, pass all these messages to the future operated and answer his questions. Avoid lying, even if it seems reassuring.
What has to be done:
- Prepare with him his suitcase. Choose together the toys he will carry, not to mention his baby blanket. Once in his hospital room, make sure he knows why he needs surgery. And make sure that he will find you at the end of the operation.